Category Archives: Recycling – Upcycling

Recycle t-shirt into a dinosaur costume for kids using felt, super easy!

Standard

Dinosaur costume from a t-shirt

20110405-091127.jpg This is an on going project so I’ll be posting as I’m going. Excuse the photos there hasn’t been much good light and I’m posting using my iPod touch. I’ll add more pictures and descriptions of my progress. To be quite honest there is no ‘plan’ per-say. But it’s for my sons birthday party at the weekend.
Reusing t-shirts that are going to be outgrown soon us an ideal way to get a costume started. This one is more of a vest as it has no sleeves, but any type would do!

20110405-161545.jpg
Now I’ve started to add the spines , which are actually different sized ‘house’ shapes. And are stuffed with toy filler. As they are sewn so the bottoms are opened up, it pulls in the sides of the ‘house’ shapes and gives more of a stegosaurus shape.

Planting first seeds this year for veg plot

Standard

First of my seeds planted

27 April

I’m super-excited to say I planted my first few seeds to start my raised bed with. Hopefully my hubby will build my raised bed this weekend or before. I just can’t wait to get started. I still need to buy quite a few supplies to help along the way.

My lovely Aunt gave me a head start by supplying me with seeds and pots, and even some books to read! Isn’t she lovely?! I think I somehow agreed to crochet a scarf for her tho in return. lol. I don’t mind tho =] She gave me Sweet peppers, chilli peppers, tomatoes in different varieties and runner beans to plant now. The romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce and mixed salad leave will have to wait as they need to be planted where they are to be cropped. Thanks Aunty!

Anyways, back to planting. As you can tell by the picture, I have used recycled grape and tomato containers to create a makeshift propagator. I put several seeds in each pot. I shall pull out any that are really weedy looking. I just hope that it’s right! I only placed one seed of the bigger runner beans. I used an egg box for these, as I want to try planting straight into the ground in the box. Anyone else tried this?

Now placed in a really sunny spot on my kitchen shelf. They should do really well before I re-home them in my garden. I shall be using mostly reclaimed building materials to make my raised bed. My only fear is that it’s too shaded in my back garden and I’ll get zip veggies! I get early morning and late evening sun. Any advice would be great!?

Fusing Plastic – My attempts so far

Standard

Fusing Plastic, is not so, fantastic!

Supplies

Armed with my plastic bag supplies, which consist of Asda, Superdrug and Card Factory. Chosen mainly for their colours. Green and Pink =D . I followed the guides of the likes on youtube.com but it didn’t really go all that well. I think I may have had my iron on too high. Although, some tutorials were saying you need  8 ply, others were saying that’s not necessary, and that you can have the iron on full, others on a wool setting. Other than the slight difference in opinions, I thought that the general ‘rules’ of fusing the plastic were fairly easy.

I did start with a cool setting, such as the wool temp on my iron. I used the recommended baking paper and made sure the inked side of the plastic was always topped by another plastic to stop bleeding.

A few passes with the iron on Wool for about 15-20 seconds, but it seemed to do nothing at all. So I turned up the dial and it seemed as though the plastic just didn’t want to fuse together.

Until… it all went horribly wrong and started to shrink at a rapid rate. You can see my results below. Any tips would be great. I really would like another crack at this. As I’d like to make myself a knitting bag using the ‘plastic fabric’. But at the moment. I’m passing this one by. Like I said, any tips on where I may have gone wrong. Also, there doesn’t seem to be much guide on whether some plastics don’t like other plastics and just WON’T fuse together, rather melt upon each other leaving air pockets galore, like in my case. I was disappointed with the results overall, but I did like the composition. You live and learn!

The results

I also wanted to experiment with yarn fibres fused inside. If anyone’s had success with this (or not), please let me know.